“For through faith you are all children of God in Christ Jesus. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothes yourselves with Christ.”
Galatians 4: 26-27
Baptism is the first sacrament of initiation into the Catholic faith and the basis of the whole Christian life. Through baptism we are reborn of water and the Holy Spirit, and we are invited to share in Jesus Christ’s mission on Earth.
Requirements and important information about infant baptisms:
- In order to have your child baptized at St. James you must first schedule an appointment with our Baptism Coordinator, Valeria Fong-Kaufmann.
- Choose at least one godparent for the child. If two godparents are chosen, one must be Catholic; a baptized Christian of another denomination may serve as a Christian Witness.
- The Catholic godparent must be fully initiated into the Church and practicing his or her faith by attending Mass regularly and receiving Holy Communion. If married, they must have been married in the Catholic church. A testimony of faith confirming his or her good standing is also required.
- Parents and godparents need to attend a Baptismal Preparation Class before the child’s Baptism. Classes are offered each month (there is no class in the month of July) in English and Spanish from 6:30-9:00 p.m. on the first Thursday of each month (there is no class in the month of July).
- Baptisms are celebrated at 1:45 p.m. on the second and fourth Sunday of the month (in English) and the third Sunday of the month (in Spanish).