“Have you not read that from the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female’ and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has joined together,
no human being must separate.” Matthew 19:4-6
Marriage is “the matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life and is by its nature ordered toward the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring; this covenant between baptized persons has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, #1601)
PLANNING YOUR WEDDING AT SAINT JAMES CATHEDRAL
Congratulations on your engagement! The following information should help as you begin the process of preparing as a couple for the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony.
As with all sacraments of the Catholic Church, marriage requires spiritual preparation and as such, we require at least six months of preparation time.
Weddings are held at the following times, with corresponding rehearsal times assigned (please note that we do not celebrate the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony during the Lenten Season).
|Wedding Time||Rehearsal Time|
|Friday, 2:00 p.m.||Thursday, 5:00 p.m.|
|Saturday, 12:00 pm||Friday, 3:00 p.m.|
|Saturday, 2:00 pm||Friday, 4:00 p.m.|
|Saturday, 6:00 pm||Friday, 5:00 p.m.|
Fees for the Cathedral are determined based on parishioner status.
Active Registered Parishioners: $750
- An active registered parishioner is an individual who has been registered at St. James Cathedral for a minimum of one (1) year PRIOR to submitting a wedding application. Additionally, active parishioners must maintain regular Mass attendance. They also make regular financial contributions to the parish through the consistent use of parish envelopes, check or on-line payment, and/or volunteer in parish ministries.
Active Parishioners within the Diocese: $1,250
- An active parishioner within the Diocese meets all of the qualifications of an “active registered parishioner”, but regularly attends Mass at another parish within the Diocese of Orlando.
- Or Registered at St. James less than one year prior to submitting a wedding application.
Out of the Diocese/Not Active: $5,000
- This rate is for applicants who are not active at any parish within the Diocese of Orlando. They may be active members of a parish outside of the Diocese of Orlando.
The Marriage Preparation Process
The marriage preparation process is designed to guide engaged couples towards a sacramental marriage celebration and provide essential tools to live out this lifelong covenant. Couples should begin this process with their home parish at least 6 months before their anticipated wedding date.
At St. James, the marriage preparation process consists of the following:
- A Pre-Nuptial Questionnaire (Form A) is to be completed with a priest or deacon and signed by all parties.
- Certificate of Baptism for each Catholic party (less than six months old).
- FOCCUS Inventory.
- A Letter of Freedom to Marry (Form B) is to be completed by two witnesses on behalf of each engaged person (i.e. two forms for each engaged). Forms are available at the parish.
- A Certificate of Completion from a Marriage Preparation Program.
- Meetings with St. James Clergy, Staff and Mentor Couples.
- Death Certificate of previous spouse or Annulment Decree (if you were previously married).
- Canonical Dispensations and Permissions (if necessary).
- A valid Florida Marriage License.
The above information will be discussed at length at your first sacramental preparation meeting with the priest/deacon. This meeting will be scheduled after your wedding application has been accepted.
Please contact the Cathedral for more information about weddings, marriage preparation, annulments and convalidation.